Táncsics Mihály utca 26.
10.00-14.00 - Monday, Tuesday closed
800 Ft, students: 400 Ft
About the Synagogue:
of the synagoues of the late medieval and Turkish epoch in the
Jewish quarter of Buda (formerly called Jewish street) built at the
end of 14 century can be seen on the ground – floor of the house
No.26. at Mihály Táncsics street in Buda Castle.
discovery and reconstruction of this valued synagogue which divided
with pillars on the southern side and preserves the stone framed
windows of the former women’s oratory took place during the
monumental building research in 1964. (Architect: H. Melinda Papp)
the walls of the building Hebrew inscriptions and representations
from 7 century also came to light following the research. One of the
pictures painted on the wall shows an upturned bow and arrow the
other is the star of King David. The text to be read in the picture
with the bow is a sentence from the prayer of Hanna: „The strong man
of hand bow will be corrupted and the powerless will be set up with
Power.” The six pointed star of David is accompanied by the text of
sacerdotal benediction from the Old Testament: „…The Lord shall
bless you, and hold you.”
According to Professor Sándor Scheiber the inscriptions and pictures
date from the 17th century. The contents of the inscriptions refer
to the reasonable fear of the Jews from the Christian attacks.
the southern room of the building, one of the significant
collections of the Budapest History Museum can be seen: here the
Jewish tombstones are displayed from the Middle Ages and Turkish
times, which were brought to light in Buda. However, the series of
tableaux placed on the wall of the synagogue remind us of the life
and history of Jews in Buda.
city of Buda shortly after its foundation already had a considerable
number of Jewish citizens also from the middle of 13th century. The
privilege regulating the legal standing of the Hungarian Jews was
issued by King Béla IV. in 1251. It’s understandable that while in
Western Europe Jews were exposed to many persecutions they willingly
went to live in Hungary, in the freedom of worship, the electoral
right of priest and judge, as well as their right to maintain the
House of Prayer and it also settled their social and economic
Jewish quarter of the 13th century was situated on the western side
of the present Szent György street, neighboring the Fehérvári Gate,
which at that time was called the Jewish Gate. Their cemetery was at
the foot of the hill, at the corner of today’s Tunnel and Pauler
streets. From this cemetery a number of medieval tombstones were
brought to light, the oldest one among them dated from 1278.
early Jewish quarter was liquidated in 1360, when, King Lajos the
Great (Anjou) expelled the Jews. They were allowed again to return
to Buda and then their new quarter was established along the two
sides of today’s M. Táncsics street the large House of Prayer was
built in 1461, which was destroyed in 1686. The impressive ruins of
the monumental splendid temple were discovered by László Zolnay, the
archeologist of the Budapest History Museum in the garden of No. 23.
M. Táncsics street. The ruins of the building were filled up with
earth again for technical reasons, but their new unearthing and
showing to the public are included in the general development plan
of the Castle district. Until that is done, its reconstructed
picture and magnificent Late-Gothic keystone are shown here, at the
exhibition of the „small synagogue” and its enormous pillars of the
„Large synagogue” are set up in the courtyard of this house.